For Immediate Release
August 21, 2019
MCTXSheriff Issues Scam Alert for Montgomery County Residents
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office is issuing a warning for citizens regarding a telephone scam that has been affecting Montgomery County.
Scam callers are calling residents of Montgomery County advising they are with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office. The scam caller uses a different name each time (Lt. Johnson, Lt. Spencer), and advises the citizen that they have an outstanding fine or they failed to show up for jury duty and a warrant will be issued for their arrest if they don’t pay the fine. Additionally, the number can sometimes show up on the caller identification as Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
The citizen is then instructed that in order to get the issue taken care of, they must put money on a prepaid debit card and then call back to get the issue resolved and warrant dismissed.
Anyone who receives this type of call is encouraged to ignore them as the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will not call to advise you of your fine or infraction nor have you make restitution in this manner. All fines are administered and paid through the appropriate court.
- Be wary if you are being asked to act immediately. Scammers typically try to push you into action before you have time to think.
- The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office never calls or emails citizens to advise them of warrants.
- Never wire money or use a prepaid debit card when told to do so by a person that you do not know. Scammers often pressure citizens into using a prepaid debit card. It’s like cash. Once it is used, you won’t get a refund.
- Citizens should avoid making payments over the phone or purchasing gift cards or prepaid debit cards to resolve government matters.
- To ensure you are truly speaking to a member of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, you should hang up and contact the main number directly, 936-760-5800 and then ask to speak to the law enforcement person who called you.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding telephone calls placed to you on behalf of any government agency soliciting money, in any form, please contact the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency line, 936-760-5800.
Lieutenant Scott Spencer
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office
Administrative Services Division