UNAUTHORIZED USE OF A MOTOR VEHICLE
Unfortunately, due to citizen abuse of the offense of Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle law, new procedures must now be followed before law enforcement officers, including the District and County Attorney Offices can accept an Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle Case. We do not wish to cause inconvenience to anyone, but we must ensure once the prosecution has commenced, it will be followed through by all parties involved.
As a prerequisite to filing an Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle Charge, the Montgomery County District and County Attorneys’ Offices as well as the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, require that you write a letter to the person in possession of your vehicle. The letter shall include the following information:
- An accurate and complete description of the circumstances under which the vehicle was obtained from you;
- An accurate and complete description of the vehicle which you own and desire returned including the license plate number, year, model, and color of the vehicle.
- An affirmative demand that you'd be allowed to take possession of the vehicle at the place where it is presently located, or the vehicle be returned to you, or that you immediately be compensated the fair market value of the vehicle, and;
- That if your demand is not satisfied within ten days of the receipt of the letter, the matter will be turned over to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office for the action that they, and the County and/or District deem appropriate.
The letter must be sent by certified mail with the return receipt requested.
At the appropriate time, the following items will be needed in order to file Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle:
- Copy of the letter sent
- The certified (green) return receipt from the Post Office or documentation from a postal delivery service ie UPS or FedEx showing receipt of documentation and signature, and
- The unopened letter should it be returned to you for any reason, and
- Proof of ownership of the vehicle in question.
Once the appropriate actions have been made, please contact the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office at 936-760-5800 for a Deputy to take your report. You will need to provide all required documentation to the deputy in order for a report to be filed at that time.