For Immediate Release
April 5, 2017
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office is issuing a warning for citizens regarding a telephone scam that has been affecting Montgomery County.
Someone is calling residents of Montgomery County advising they are with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Civil Division. The caller advises the citizen that they have an outstanding fine or they failed to show up for jury duty and a warrant will be issued for their arrest if they don’t pay the fine.
The citizen is then instructed that in order to get the issue taken care of, they must put money on a prepaid debit card and then come to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Jail. Once there, the citizen is instructed to call back and they will provide additional instructions on how to use the jail kiosk in the main lobby.
It is our belief that the scammer is trying to get money placed on an inmate’s financial account for use while they are housed in the Montgomery County Jail.
Anyone who receives this type of call is encouraged to ignore them as the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will not call to advise you of your fine or infraction nor have you make restitution in this manner. All fines are administered and paid through the appropriate court.
- Be wary if you are being asked to act immediately. Scammers typically try to push you into action before you have time to think.
- The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office never calls or emails citizens to advise them of warrants.
- Never wire money or use a prepaid debit card when told to do so by a person that you do not know. Scammers often pressure citizens into using a prepaid debit card. It’s like cash. Once it is used, you won’t get a refund.
- Citizens should avoid making payments over the phone or purchasing gift cards or prepaid debit cards to resolve government matters.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding telephone calls placed to you on behalf of any government agency soliciting money, in any form, please contact the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Officer non-emergency line, 936-760-5800.
Lieutenant Scott Spencer
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office