Unfortunately, due to citizen abuse of the offense of Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle law, new procedures must now be followed before law enforcement officers, including the District and County Attorney Offices can accept an Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle Case. We do not wish to cause inconvenience to anyone, but we must be sure that once prosecution is commenced, it will be followed through 100% by all parties involved.
As a prerequisite to filing an Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle Charge, the Montgomery County District and County Attorneys’ Offices as well as the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, require that you write a letter to the person in possession of your vehicle. The letter shall include the following information:
- An accurate and complete description of the circumstances under which the vehicle was obtained from you;
- An accurate complete description of the vehicle which you own and desire returned including the license plate number, year, model and color of the vehicle.
- An affirmative demand that either of you be allowed to take possession of the vehicle at the place where it is presently located, or the vehicle be returned to you, or that you immediately be compensated the fair market value of the vehicle, and;
- That if your demand is not satisfied within ten days of the receipt of the letter, the matter will be turned over to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office for the action that they, and the County and/or District deem appropriate.
At the appropriate time, the following items will be needed in order to file Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle:
- Copy of the letter sent
- The receipt from the Post Office, and
- The unopened letter should it be returned to you for any reason, and
- Proof of ownership to the vehicle in question.
For questions contact
Auto Theft Task Force Office
102 Academy Drive, Conroe, TX 77301
8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday